The 35 acres of grounds and gardens at The Elvetham hold lots of hidden details and historical stories
Hampshire country house gardens
The area of 35 acres surrounding The Elvetham is much the same today as it was recorded in the Domesday book.
A formal garden was created in 1860 and a mile-long avenue of Wellingtonias were planted. After many years of neglect the gardens were restored in 1962 and now include a broad walk of Irish Yews, a croquet lawn, eighty ornamental trees, a kitchen garden and many other attractive features.
Head Gardener Graham Cleator
Graham joined The Elvetham in June 1977, and so is in his 40th year running the much loved Elvetham gardens! Graham leads a busy team of four, who take great pride in; tending to the grass areas, growing 5000 bedding plants, and maintaining the garden machinery. When not being green-fingered at work, Graham is a keen biker, and also spends exhausting but fun time with his young granddaughter.
Browse the gallery below to see the gardens that Graham's team tend to.